Friday, March 14, 2008

Historical Mazatlán



On one of the house tours I saw this old painting of Old Mazatlán. If you compare the top photo with yesterday's post, you'll notice on the right the curve of the shore along the Pacific Ocean. The cement Malecon, however, has not been built nor has the road been modernized. Missing are all the hotels and El Centro as I now know it. The structure on top of the hill is the lighthouse. Next week I hope to hike the trail and take some photos from there. If you look to the left on the bottom photo, you'll see the Cathedral. Because we were moved so quickly through the houses we visited on the tour, I was unable to get any information on the date of the painting nor the artist. I also have not been able to find any useful source of Mazatlán history in English, so I am unable to answer any of your inevitable questions. Sorry! Just enjoy!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's a very striking place.

Jilly said...

Just fascinating to see the comparison between the painting and yesterday's post. Well captured on the tour. I know how difficult this can be. Often forbidden here - in the big churches, for instance.

alice said...

Ah ah! No question from me, I promise! I do like these old testimonies. Really a nice find!

photowannabe said...

I think this is very amazing to be in the house. What beautiful artistry.

George Townboy said...

But wait a second, I have to know, "What .... ?"

These are beautiful. I love historical scenes.

Southern Heart said...

Kate, that is absolutely beautiful! I think that the painting speaks for itself. :)

Jim Klenke said...

I looks very nice, looks very romantic.

Nathalie H.D. said...

Ahem Kate, isn't it time you started translating from Spanish to English for us? Nice homework to do!!! LOL

Anonymous said...

Beautiful old paintings of Old Mazatlan. If you're interested in gathering Old Mazatlan's pictures, you might want to send an e-mail to Peche Rice: peches@pechesaurios.com (English is fine), and ask him to add you to his mailing list. This person has been doing a wonderful job gathering and sharing Old Mazatlan's pictures.