Wednesday, January 06, 2016

Shopping at the Mercado

 Tourists, expats, and Mexicans have many shopping options in this country.  Groceries can be obtained at small tiendas, larger supermarkets like Sam's Club and Mega, or my personal favourite, the Mercado in El Centro. The Mercado is filled with vendors of all kinds: clothing apparel, sunglasses and hats, souvenirs, pharmaceuticals, fruit, vegetables, grocery staples, dairy,  poultry and meat. Although I haven't purchased meat products here, on the advice of friends, I have gone to smaller markets to buy some of my perishable groceries.




8 comments:

EG CameraGirl said...

Interesting to see the butcher at work! It's all hidden in modern supermarkets.

Kathy said...

Mexican markets use cuts of meat we're not familiar with here in the States. I don't blame you for not buying meat in the open market. I remember visiting the Mercado several times in the past and hanging meats attracted lots of flies and other undesirables. Maybe sanitary conditions have improved since then.

William Kendall said...

That's a lot of meat.

Janey and Co. said...

Not terribly appetizing! I am thinking I would maybe buy my meat elsewhere too. Although if I went behind closed doors in the supermarket...maybe the scene would be the same.

The Cranky said...

I'd be with you on buying my meat elsewhere; it would be a tad difficult to keep things sanitary in the open air...

Lois said...

Interesting to watch, but I wouldn't buy any meat there either!

Kay said...

I do eat meat but scenes like this remind me why I'm eating less and less of it these days.

Lowell said...

My dear wife, a vegetarian (she eats nothing with eyes), would not even be able to look at these photos. They are rather "ugh"! :)